Physicians for Informed Consent
Summary of Your Privacy Rights
Do we publish your name or contact information publicly?
Do we confidentially share your personal/financial information with trusted third parties (e.g., payment processor) solely to service your membership or donation?
We will confidentially share your personal/financial information with trusted third parties where necessary to provide you with membership services.
Physicians for Informed Consent (PIC) is a California nonprofit public benefit corporation.
Information Collected and Utilized
1. Personal and Financial Information – When you donate to PIC or register for membership with PIC, or otherwise provide PIC your contact information, we store the personal information you provide us, such as your name and email address. Additionally, to service a PIC account, PIC and its designated online payment service providers, may accept credit card or financial account information. Any financial data you provide PIC is maintained in an encrypted form on secure servers.
In certain instances we combine personal and/or financial information with information from other PIC services to ensure proper account maintenance and quality service. You can decline to provide personal and financial information for any services, in which case the services may not be able to be provided to you.
2. Data – Cookies and server logs help us identify your computer, improve your website navigation experience, and monitor traffic and technical functioning of our network and services.
3. Communications – PIC stores written communications submitted to PIC by members and site visitors. This helps us respond to questions and improve our service.
4. Legal hotline services are offered to PIC members per the terms of the member’s membership application. Personal information that a member provides to PIC may be provided confidentially to the legal service provider in order for the legal service provider to provide the member with the legal service. Information collected by a legal service provider is governed by their privacy policies. The legal service provider may have different privacy practices and policies.
5. In the event we need to use information in a manner different than the purpose for which it is collected, we will ask for your consent prior to such use, and offer you an effective way to opt out of the use of personal information for those other purposes.
6. Only in the following limited circumstances will PIC be permitted to share personal information with persons outside of PIC:
• When we have your consent. In particular, consent may be requested during membership registration in order to ensure that a designated and trusted 3rd party (i.e., payment processor) can process personal information on PIC behalf, or to ensure quality service or account management.
• When we have a good faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of such information is reasonably necessary to (a) satisfy an applicable law, regulation, legal process (i.e., discovery request) or enforceable governmental request, (b) enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations thereof, (c) detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues, or (d) protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of PIC, its users or the public as required or permitted by law.
Security and Data Integrity
7. PIC employs security and verification measures to protect against unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of data.
9. We take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we process is accurate and complete, but we depend on our users to update or correct their personal information whenever necessary.
10. If PIC receives a formal complaint, our policy is to contact the complaining party regarding his or her concerns, and where applicable to cooperate with appropriate government authorities, to resolve complaints regarding the transfer of personal data.
Questions, Comments, Concerns
Physicians for Informed Consent
3463 State Street, #453
Santa Barbara, CA 93105
– Updated January 2018 –